Here we will show you how to make a bootable pen drive using CMD (Command Prompt) or without using any external software. Because nowadays very few folks burn ISO images on disks and use them as bootable media. Now, USB drives have replaced them as they’re quicker and a more handy method to install an operating system on a computer.
While there are numerous tools to make bootable USB, there’s one furnished through even Microsoft, there’s a manner to do the identical without any software program. All you want to do is fireplace up Command Prompt and observe some easy instructions. Today we will show you how to make a bootable pen drive without using any external software. This is a very easy and fastest way to make a bootable pen drive to install an operating system on any pc. So if you want to make a bootable USB without any software then you are in the right place. For this, you need to follow few steps which are given below. So let’s start…
Steps to Make Bootable Pen Drive With CMD
1. First of all plug, your USB flash drive into your computer in any working slot.
2. Open Start Menu and find Command Prompt by typing CMD. Now right-click on Command Prompt icon and Run it as Administrator by clicking on “Run as administrator”. Because running Command Prompt as administrator will give you full access to this tool. By using another method, you can also open the Command Prompt by pressing Windows+R > Type CMD > Press Enter.
3. Once the Command Prompt tool is opened, here type “Diskpart” and hit Enter. And wait for a few seconds until the Diskpart utility starts running.
4. After running the Diskpart utility, here type “list disk” and hit Enter. It will show you all active disks that are connected with your pc.
5. Most likely, you will see two Disk types. Disk 0 is for your pc hard drive and Disk 1 is for your USB Flash Drive with its total capacity.
6. Since we are going to make a bootable USB and for this purpose, we need to work with Disk 1.
Now to select Disk 1 which is your USB Drive type “select disk 1″ in the same window and hit Enter. and you will get a message ” Disk 1 is now selected disk“. Your Disk 1 is selected. which means any further operation that we will do effect directly to your Disk 1 and Disk 1 is your USB Flash Drive.
7. After that type “clean” and hit Enter. It will remove all existing data from your USB drive. In other words, will say that clean command will format your bootable drive. Now you will saw a message like “Diskpart succeeded in cleaning the disk“.
8. Now type create partition primary and hit Enter. This command will create a primary partition in your USB and you will see a message “Diskpart succeeded in creating the specified partition“.
9. Here type “select partition 1” and hit Enter and you will get a message “partition 1 is now selected partition“.
10. Now, type “active” and hit Enter. This command will activate the selected partition which is your primary partition 1.
11. After that type “format fs=ntfs quick” and hit Enter. This command will format the current partition as an NTFS file system quickly. This format operation can take up to 10 to 15 minutes depending on your CPU.
12. Now type “exit” and hit Enter. This command will exit the Diskpart program but it will not close the CMD window.
Create Bootsector On USB Drive
1. Now check the USB drive latter from my computer. For example, my USB drive letter is G.
2. Extract ISO image window file using Winrar or any other archiver in any drive of your pc. And see the complete path of this extracted file cause we need to navigate “bootsect” file which is placed on a path “E:win8boot” on my pc. And you need to check your file path for this operation. Now go in the command prompt again and navigate the “bootsect” file by using the following steps given below.
- Type “cd win8″ and hit Enter
- Type “cd boot” and hit Enter
- Now type “bootsect/nt60 g:” and hit Enter. It will create the boot sector on G: drive (USB Drive).
- Type “exit” and hit Enter to close the Command Prompt.
Copy Extracted ISO File in USB Drive Manually:
➤ Copy the extracted ISO file manually in this USB Drive and that’s all.